Please reach out to Diego Huezo at email@example.com with any questions you may have about the Coalition. The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) will be the facilitator of the Coalition going forward.
Alliance staff members welcome queries from reporters, bloggers, and others who are writing about smart growth topics related to people and places in Massachusetts.
We also will be happy to connect you to experts who can provide background and offer insights about issues related to economic development, environmental preservation, housing, land use, public policy, sustainable communities, transportation, and zoning.
The Massachusetts Smart Growth Alliance promotes healthy and diverse communities, protects critical environmental resources and working landscapes, advocates for housing and transportation choices, and supports equitable community development and reinvestment.
What We Do
- Advancing legislation and promoting a favorable regulatory environment,
- Advocating for state planning, funding and construction decisions in line with the state’s sustainable development principles, and
- Identifying best practices and helping Massachusetts communities tackle the Smart Growth challenges they face.
- Provide direct assistance to local groups that are working to create great places that benefit everyone.
We support a statewide network of individuals, community-based organizations, nonprofit institutions, municipalities, and businesses with information resources, advocacy tools, and peer-learning opportunities.
Quick Facts about the Alliance
- Founded in 2003 as a nonpartisan and nonprofit organization. The Alliance’s fiscal agent is Citizens’ Housing and Planning Association, a 501(c)3 group.
- The Alliance was created by seven leading Massachusetts-based policy organizations. In 2015, two new organizations became Alliance members. These nine organizations serve on our steering committee.
- Supported through and by the Barr Foundation, the Boston Foundation, the Herman and Frieda L. Miller Foundation and the Tufts Health Plan Foundation.