We need to reform our state’s planning, zoning, and permitting laws to support communities that work for families and seniors. Great neighborhoods offer housing choices, are vibrant and healthy places that protect open space and natural resources, allow cities & towns to plan for the future, and establish predictable permitting for small businesses and property owners.
We urge the Legislature to pass, at a minimum, Governor Baker’s Housing Choice legislation by November 2019. We also call on the Legislature to identify new sources of revenue for affordable housing, and to convene a task force to recommend additional policies to combat displacement, increase multi-family housing, and promote accessory apartments by the end of this year. We expect that a second package of housing proposals will be prepared for a vote in each branch by July 31, 2020.
Gov. Baker’s Housing Choice Initiative
- 5/14/2019 MSGA written testimony to Joint Committee on Housing Choice bill (H. 3507)
- 5/14/2019 MSGA written testimony on additional housing bills
- 5/14/2019 A progressive case for Housing Choice
- 2/27/2019 Full text of House 3507
- 12/11/2017 Administration announces new Housing Choice Initiative
- 12/11/2017 One-page Summary
Learn more about the Great Neighborhoods campaign:
- Great Neighborhoods legislative agenda for 2019-2020
- Call to Action and Endorsing Organizations
- 5/2/2017 MSGA’s Testimony before Municipalities Committee
Selected press on zoning reform:
- 4/9/2018 Expanding on Baker’s ‘Housing Choice’ Incentives
- 3/25/2018 As I See It: The Housing Cost Crisis, by Sen. Harriette Chandler and Rep. James O’Day
- 1/16/2018 Zoning reform offers a path to economic equality and social integration
- 6/09/2016 MA Smart Growth Alliance statement on Senate passage of landmark bill
- 5/27/2016Boston Globe: Boston Globe endorsement of zoning reform
- 6/09/2014 The Salem News“Column: A plea for smart zoning”
- 5/18/2014Metro West Daily News: “Walsh and Leroux: For better development, try smarter zoning”
- 6/25/2013 Boston Globe: “New zoning law will help ease Massachusetts’ housing woes”
If you would like to join this effort, please contact our executive director André Leroux.