Smart Growth is about connecting people with the places where they live and work. The Alliance supports planning and zoning efforts around Massachusetts to help create:
- Walkable neighborhoods that provide transportation choices,
- Strong, healthy communities with housing options for all residents, and
- Vibrant commercial spaces that spur healthy local economies.
- Public spaces that draw people together.
Statewide zoning reform and new housing production measures (our Great Neighborhoods Campaign). We need to: promote more housing choices while preserving natural resources, provide municipalities with tools to plan their future and make development more predictable. For detailed information about the Great Neighborhoods legislation, learn more here.
To join the campaign and take action, go to our
Great Neighborhoods portal.
- More resources for local and regional planning, including: increased funding to help cities and towns across the state identify Priority Development Areas (PDAs) and Priority Preservation Areas (PPAs); grants to support local zoning changes; and expansion of technical assistance programs.
- Supporting local conversations about growth including where and how to grow. We support proactive efforts to create a community vision for the future.