We need to reform our state’s planning, zoning, and permitting laws to support communities that work for families and seniors. Great neighborhoods offer housing choices, are vibrant and healthy places that protect open space and natural resources, allow cities & towns to plan for the future, and establish predictable permitting for small businesses and property owners.
We urge the Legislature to pass a bill this session that will strengthen “Great Neighborhoods” across the state and we call for state leaders to make this legislation a top priority of the 2017-18 legislation session. Last year, the Senate passed a landmark bill. This year about 80 legislators co-sponsored a Great Neighborhoods bill.
Learn more about the campaign:
- Call to Action and Endorsing Organizations
- House 2420 (Representatives Kulik and Peake)
- House Fact Sheet
- Senate 81 (Sen. Chandler)
- Senate Fact Sheet
- Municipal Benefits
- Business Permitting Reforms
- MSGA’s Testimony before Municipalities Committee on May 2, 2017
- The Dysfunction of Massachusetts Land Use Laws
Selected press on past versions of zoning reform:
- 6/09/2016 MA Smart Growth Alliance statement on Senate passage of landmark bill
- 5/27/2016Boston Globe: Boston Globe endorsement of zoning reform
- 9/15/2015State House News: “In Latest Bid, Zoning Overhaul Advocates Cite State’s Failures”
- 6/11/2014 The Lowell Sun: “Zoning-reform bill will improve development process”
- 6/09/2014 The Salem News“Column: A plea for smart zoning”
- 5/19/2014Taunton Daily Gazette: “Guest Opinion: Zoning reform needed for healthier communities”
- 5/18/2014Metro West Daily News: “Walsh and Leroux: For better development, try smarter zoning”
- 6/25/2013 Boston Globe: “New zoning law will help ease Massachusetts’ housing woes”
If you would like to join this effort, please contact our executive director André Leroux.